Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Not Just For Wearing

As a follow up to yesterday's post, I decided to show some of my favorite pictures of clothing used as art.



This has got to be my top pick. Unexpected item, in an unexpected color, in an unexpected place. Room designed by Windsor. She's something, isn't she? My husband has a little matador outfit that his grandparents brought him from Spain 40 years ago. Of course I dug it right out after seeing this photo. It is cute but not this cute. And it is not pink. Still, I may display it.

Eddie Ross did a whole post on finding vintage baby clothing and framing it. Read the whole article here.

They have such a graphic, modern look for vintage items.


Vintage bathing suits seem to be a big hit right now.


These bright colors from Katy Elliot make me happy. And it is all about making me happy, right?



I think I'll hang them in my beach house. When I get one. By then my bathing suits will be vintage.



While snooping around the web I found a great site that has done all the hard work for you. Petrie Point Designs. They have vintage clothing and toys framed and ready to hang. Sure it's more fun if the bathing suit weree Great Aunt Gertrude's that she use to wear at the swimming hole while drinking whiskey. But if you don't have a Great Aunt Gertrude, don't worry.Check out this site. Warning..vintage does NOT mean cheap.

I saw an old cowboy costume at an antique store here in Wilmington and loved it. I almost bought it, but I thought Peanut was too old for it. If only I had known Butterball would be popping up, I would have bought it. Of course, had I known Butterball was going to be joining us I would have done a lot of things differently.


Don't want the cowgirls to feel left out.


I am named after my grandmother. Nana. Not crazy Bama. Who by the way is still kicking. Crazy, but kicking....go Bama!! Anyway, my stepmother had this shadow box put together with special treasures from my grandmother's life. Pins and badges, her wedding ring, a photo and my favorite, her teeny, tiny, hand sewn baby shoes with gold (goldish) buttons. I wish I had a better picture and I need to have the glass replaced, but it is a nice way to display favorite mementos. Otherwise, don't you know I would love those pins in a skinny minute?

Have you framed anything special I need to know about?

pictures from: Alicia B Designs, Eddie Ross, Apartment Therapy, Katy Elliott, Petrie Point Designs and Blue Hydrangea.

20 comments :

  1. I was also named after my grandmother, and she recently gave my some of her baby items. I love the idea of framing the items...another project to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should definitely put up your Husband's outfit, I am sure it is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was sweet of your stepmom. I love it. Oh my gosh, that matador outfit sounds too cute. And I wish you'd bought the cowboy costume, {I adore those}, but who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely fantastic! Go for it with your hubster's matador outfit! I'm swooning over the vintage swimsuits, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderfully special thing for your stepmother to do for you. It's beautiful.

    While I think the matador's outfit is cool, I think it would scare the sh*t out of me if I walked into the bathroom in the middle of the night with the lights out. I think I've seen too many scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this concept! I had a couple of my favorite vintage scarfs framed and now they hang pretty in my office. My family is from Spain, I can't wait to see your husband's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these! The bathing suits are so fun! I could see those in a walk-in closet, or a bathroom! I've always loved vintage baby clothes, too! I would love a display of vintage rattles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the bathing suits. a whole wall of them in those black frames on a white wall in a beach house. YES!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband has his grandfather's WWII jacket framed in his office. It means a lot to him. I don't think we have any other clothing framed. I have thought about framing my 11 year old dog's first collar {yes, I still have it!}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Sissy! That Eddie Ross image is branded on my brain!! I love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the swimsuits, that is perfect for a beach cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am loving the first baby dress. so cute & vintage-y!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't but I love the idea of framing an old dress that has been passed down through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved framed pieces of vintage clothing-- the bathing suits always seem perfectly suited for a lake or beach home! I have a little boy's linen playsuit from the 1930s that I intend to frame, but since I don't have a child's room to put it in, nor do any of my friend's (the ones who I think would appreciate it all have little girls,) framing it it hasn't been a top priority.

    And I love that you have that shadowbox filled with memories of your Nana. What a sweet gift from your stepmom and such a special piece to have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think you're funny... and that makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just framed some vintage clohing that belonged to my grandfather for my sister's nursery. Michael's sells some nice shadow boxes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain