Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

dining by books


I have been collecting pictures of libraries for awhile. Where You Hang Your Hat did a great post on libraries last week, check it out here. Her post prompted me to look at the pictures I had accumulated. The ones I love the best involve not only books but food. What could be better? Two of my favorite things. One dream of mine (besides the perfect pair of jeans) is to one day have a library-dining room combination.




They are so cozy and interesting.



Love the colors, love the chairs, love the flowers. and of course I love the books.


Sleek and modern. You might have to serve some gourmet food that is fancy but tiny. On a big white plate. With the sauce in a pattern.


A couple of these rooms have another favorite of mine. Pictures hung over the shelves. You might see a whole post on that. I love the layered look.


If I drank wine, I might just add a built-in wine rack. A built-in beer rack just doesn't have the same flair.

Jonathan Adler has a great dining room as does...

Peter Dunham.


This has always been one of my favorites.


So what do you think?

Are you a fan of books and food?



Anybody want to come over for dinner? I'll cook-or order take out- you bring a great book. We'll sit around and tell stories and eat and eat and eat. And drink. It will be fun. Pick out a good book and I'll let you know when I get that dining room/library combo finished. How does 2015 sound?

pictures from: Style Court, Simply Seleta, Stonebrook Staging, Peak of Chic, Design 2 Share, Brilliant Asylum, Peter Dunham, Domino, Elle Decor, Cottage Living and Patricia Gray.

15 comments :

  1. I love this combo. Have thought that this will be a good choice for us if we don't stop accumulating books, and since we'll never live in a house with a real library, let's be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, it seems like it's all about the round dining table in these rooms, too. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books and food. Sounds right to me. The dining room is so underused in most houses. Putting bookshelves in there makes the space do bench presses and sit ups every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems most libraries have light colored shelves, but I love the dark shelves in your post! Never thought of black. The books really pop. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think dinner among books makes one inherently smarter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband is obsessed with books. he always says he wants a library in our next house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, how I would love to have a library! I would settle for a legit built-in bookcase instead of the hacked-together one I've got going on now. I really love the first two photos, and Adlers bamboo chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that idea! I am constantly getting rid of books because I have no place to keep them, but my growing list of "cannot get rid of" books means my library keeps growing slowly, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally love the idea of a dining room/library. I'm in love with every single pic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in - and I will bring some wine! I love the idea of combining a library/dining room. The Peter Dunham image is one of my favorites. Great post - I want to see the one on layering when you do it, too. These rooms look really lived in, not just styled - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love our virtual escapes! I invite you to a pond and you invite me to dinner in the library. How appropriate for me to invite you outside and you to invite me in! Marking my 2015 calendar... We should make it during the winter when being inside is nice and cozy, don't ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! I blogged about this too! Apparently great minds think alike. Thanks for the kudos to my DesignStar/tard response :) Here's my library post on my old blog http://www.laurencorbyn.com/Lauren_Corbyn_Interiors/Blog/Entries/2009/3/30_Library-ish____.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous collection of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I how I love these two paired together! Dreaming too, believe me!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain